Post-Dance Lesson Tips to Stay Healthy

stay healthy post dance

Fred Astaire Dance Studios encourages its students to develop a post-dance routine to stay healthy as part of their ballroom dancing journey.


Smart dancers follow a post-dance routine to stave off injury and recover. A dance lesson activates adrenaline and gets your blood pumping. After a fun dance lesson, you may be in the mood to celebrate with friends at your favorite restaurant, or hit your favorite spot for a cocktail. Yet, it’s important to take steps to allow your body to recover. Getting in the habit of following a post-lesson recovery plan will help you relax and allow your body to prepare for your next lesson.


Stretch. A proper stretching routine will keep your muscles strong, flexible, and healthy. Stretching helps prevent muscles from shortening and tightening following exercise, which can increase the risk of joint pain, muscle strains, and injury, Harvard Health reported. Flexibility helps maintain the range of motion in our joints, as well.


Your stretching routine needs to focus on the quadriceps, calves, hamstrings, and hip flexors for maximum results. Try and hold each stretch for 30 seconds to have the most impact. Initially, it may feel uncomfortable to stretch because you have limited flexibility. Don’t give up or get discouraged. Over time, stretching will slowly help increase flexibility and prevent injuries so you can enjoy kicking up your heels on the dance floor. If you do notice any sore muscles or problem areas while stretching, make sure to apply ice to decrease inflammation and ensure you are ready to move at your next lesson.


If you are new to stretching, take a look at this short video showcasing some key stretches that are beneficial for dancers.

Hydrate. Drinking water should be part of your post-dance routine. Sweating during ballroom dancing causes you to lose body fluid, which needs to be replenished. The Institute of Medicine of the National Academies in Washington DC recommends women consume 91 ounces of water each day, and men should get 125 ounces of water per day to be properly hydrated. Approximately 80 percent of water consumption is from drinking, and the remaining 20 percent from the foods we eat. As a result, most medical professionals recommend the average American drink eight glasses of water each day. Maintaining hydration helps improve physical performance, enhances mood and concentration, and prevents headaches, Healthline reported.


Eat a Healthy Meal. Follow up your dance lesson with a healthy meal of whole foods, including lean protein and vegetables. Proper nutrition will fuel your body and energize you for the next time you dance.


Get Your Rest. A good night’s sleep is great for the body and mind. Make sure to get a full night’s rest following your dance lesson. Getting the proper amount of rest after a workout will help strengthen your muscles and tissues, according to the Sleep Foundation. It can help prevent injury and fatigue and give you the energy you need to be ready for future lessons.


Schedule a Dance Lesson Today

The health and wellness of our students is top of mind at Fred Astaire Dance Studios. Every lesson begins with simple stretches to help loosen up tight muscles and prevent injury. Our private and group dance lessons are for individuals at all ages and stages of their lives, and our certified dance instructors provide a low-impact workout that will help bolster cardiovascular fitness. Not only will you burn calories on the dance floor at Fred Astaire Dance Studios, but you will also learn a valuable skill you can enjoy for many years to come.


If you are ready to improve your physical fitness while having a great time, contact your local Fred Astaire Dance Studios location to schedule a lesson. Fred Astaire Dance Studios also offers an Online Lesson Platform for people who prefer to learn to dance from the comfort of their homes.